3 Card Poker Rules and Tips for Success
Three card poker is a poker-based card game in which the gamblers play against the dealer. The players have to be concerned with what the dealer’s cards are.
Basically, 3 card poker rules are not very different from the practices of other table games.
3 card poker rules
The number of players may vary from 1 to 6 and the main goal is to collect the winning poker combination. The gamblers make initial, so-called ‘ante’ bets and after that the dealer gives out 3 cards to each participant. In the course of the game the players can fold or place a ‘play’ bet equal to the ante wager.
It is possible to make some additional bets. A bonus wager which is paid if the gambler’s hand is a pair or better is called the Pair Plus. This bet wins if the gambler has a pair of 2s at minimum. In accordance with 3 card poker rules the payouts are applied regardless of the dealer’s combination because the Pair Plus bet doesn’t compete with the dealer’s hand.
As each hand consists of only 3 cards, the rankings are a bit different from the standard ones. In accordance with 3 card poker rules in casino the hand rankings are as follows:
- 3-of-a-kind – 3 cards of the same type.
- Flush – 3 cards of the same suit.
- High card – if nobody has any of the above then the player having the highest card wins.
- Pair – 2 cards of the same kind.
- Straight – 3 cards of mixed suits.
- Straight flush – 3 cards of the same suit.
Tips how to win
Definitely, 3 card poker rules and strategy are very easy to learn in the gaming process but one should learn some useful tips in advance.
Analyze and act
Before taking any decision, assess the situation and follow the tips below:
- If your 2nd highest card is a seven or higher, bet on a Queen-high hand.
- If your 2nd highest card is a six and the 3rd card is a four or a five, bet on a Queen-high hand.
- If your highest card is a six and your 3rd card is a two or a three, fold a Queen-high hand.
3 card poker rules: prevent the house edge increase
The house edge of this game is relatively small. It’s ok, if the gambler plays optimally but the edge can increase enormously because of unreasonable side bets or wrong strategy.
Thus, the winning opportunities would be low. To avoid this, follow some tips:
- Keep in mind that the Ante wager is the key to the lowest house edge on the game – this is one of the main 3 card poker rules.
- Avoid making the Pair Plus bets as it increases the house edge by more than 2%.
- Try to remember one strategic card combo and take a decision whether to call or fold.
Those who are interested in how to play 3 card poker and the rules of this game should understand that gambling involves some judgement skills. Think of your strategy and the game will be relaxing and profitable.